First-year students are, or soon will be, high school graduates who have never attended a college or university. Opportunities are available for students who wish to study Criminal Justice, Liberal Studies (Education), Nursing and Psychology. Students may also enter with an undeclared major and be given the opportunity to explore different fields of study.
To be eligible for admission as a first-year student, you must:
- Complete, with a grade of C or higher, the pattern of college preparatory curriculum (A-G courses) by the end of spring of your senior year of high school.
- If from San Diego or Imperial County, have a minimum GPA of 2.0. This GPA is calculated based on grades earned on 10-12 grade A-G pattern courses only.
- IMPORTANT! Students admitted to SDSU as undeclared, or as a major other than Nursing, will not be able to change their major to Nursing during their tenure at SDSU.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in A – G coursework
- Minimum grade of B in Intermediate Algebra, Biology, and Chemistry with lab courses. If AP or IB level courses were taken in these areas, applicants must have earned a minimum grade of B.
- Preference is given to Imperial County applicants who have taken and earned strong grades in science and mathematics courses.
|A||Social Science||2 years required||Must include one year of U.S. history and government.|
|B||English||4 years required||Acceptable courses must include substantial reading of classic/modern literature and writing of structured papers. Elective courses do not fulfill the English requirement.|
|C||Mathematics||3 years required;
|Acceptable courses include algebra I, algebra II, geometry, and other advanced courses that require algebra and geometry as prerequisites. Computer programming courses do not fulfill the math subject requirement.|
|D||Laboratory Science||2 years required;
|Must include one year of biological science and one year of physical science. Both must have a laboratory component.|
|E||Foreign Language||2 years required||Must be the same language. (Subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence.)|
|F||Visual and Performing Arts||1 year required||Must be a year-long visual and performing arts course selected from visual art, dance, drama/theatre, or music. May complete two semester-long courses from the same discipline.|
|G||Electives||1 year required||College preparatory courses selected from the areas listed above or other approved college preparatory A–G courses.|
How to Apply
- Use the CSU common admission application, Cal State Apply, to apply.
- Apply to "San Diego State University" and then choose a major designated at SDSU Imperial Valley.
- A nonrefundable filing fee of $70 must accompany your application. Fee waivers are available to those who are qualified.